Our partners and collaborators
About our relationship with our main partners, collaborators and sponsors – also a listing of the national and international organisations we work with
JISC is an independent advisory body that supports Higher and Further Education by providing strategic guidance, advice and opportunities to use Information and Communications Technology (ICT) to support teaching, learning, research and administration.
In 2005, JISC established a new funding agreement with two nationally designated data centres: Mimas and EDINA. This relationship with JISC has allowed for the assignment of services as appropriate to either of the two data centres. By encouraging the strategic placement of hosted services, this should open greater opportunity for working collaboratively.
The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), a leading research funding and training agency, funds research and training in social and economic issues. The ESRC aims to provide high-quality research on issues of importance to business, the public sector and government.
Mimas receives funding from the ESRC for research data services (e.g. ESDS International and CDU) and various research activities, including a number of research and development projects undertaken jointly with the School of Social Sciences at The University of Manchester.
The University of Manchester
The University of Manchester is Britain's largest single-site university. Already one of the world's top centres for biomedical research, the University is also at the forefront of new discoveries in science and engineering. By 2015, The University of Manchester aims to hold a world-class leading research profile and be among the top 25 universities in the world.
Mimas is a Centre of Excellence based at The University of Manchester. We operate as a part of a university with an ambitious and progressive agenda, with a vision to become one of the best universities in the world by 2015. We look forward to the opportunities that will inevitably spring from this vision.
The British Library (BL) serves business and industry, researchers, academics and students, in the UK and globally. They also support UK Higher Education through their collections, services, partnerships and strategic activities.
Mimas has worked collaboratively with the BL for over 10 years. In 1999, Mimas was funded to develop Zetoc, a popular service that has been included in a number of the BL's own strategic developments, including the Research Information Centre (RIC), their collaboration with Microsoft and WorldWideScience.
More recently, Mimas has worked closely with the BL to provide UK Pubmed Central in partnership with the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) and The University of Manchester's Faculty of Life Sciences and National Centre for Text Mining (NaCTeM). Mimas continues to collaborate with the BL on research and development projects, including the Names project.
Other national and international collaborators
Academic, inter-governmental and non-profit organisations
- Bonn (University of) – uni-bonn.de
- Cathie Marsh Centre for Census and Survey Research (CCSR) (The University of Manchester) – ccsr.ac.uk
- College of Information Science and Technology (Drexel University) – ischool.drexel.edu
- Cranfield University – cranfield.ac.uk
- EDINA (University of Edinburgh) – edina.ed.ac.uk
- Eduserv – eduserv.org.uk
- European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) – ebi.ac.uk
- Evidence Base (Birmingham City University) – ebase.bcu.ac.uk
- Higher Education Academy – heacademy.ac.uk
- Hypermedia Research Unit (University of Glamorgan) – hypermedia.research.glam.ac.uk
- JISC CETIS – jisc.cetis.ac.uk
- JISC Collections (HEFCE-related body) – jisc-collections.ac.uk
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) – imf.org
- Institute for Learning & Research Technology (ILRT) (University of Bristol) – ilrt.bris.ac.uk
- The Learning Registry – learningregistry.org
- Liverpool (University of) – liv.ac.uk
- The University of Manchester Library – library.manchester.ac.uk
- Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) – mmu.ac.uk
- National Centre for Text Mining (NaCTeM) – nactem.ac.uk
- National Records of Scotland – nrscotland.gov.uk
- Nomis (official labour market statistics) – nomisweb.co.uk
- Nottingham (The University of) – nottingham.ac.uk
- OCKHAM Initiative – ockham.org
- OCLC – oclc.org
- OECD – oecd.org
- OECD Global Project – wikiprogress.org
- Office for National Statistics – ons.gov.uk
- Open University – open.ac.uk
- OSS Watch – oss-watch.ac.uk
- Plymouth (University of) – plymouth.ac.uk
- Publisher & Institutional Repository Usage Statistics 2 (PIRUS2) Consortium – jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/inf11/pirus2.aspx
- Research Libraries UK (RLUK) – rluk.ac.uk
- Research Information Network (RIN) – rin.ac.uk
- SASPAC – saspac.org
- SHERPA – sherpa.ac.uk
- ticTOCs Consortium – tictocs.ac.uk
- UK Data Archive (UKDA) (University of Essex) – data-archive.ac.uk
- UKOLN – ukoln.ac.uk
- University College London (UCL) – ucl.ac.uk
- Wellcome Trust – wellcome.ac.uk
- Worcester College of Technology – wortech.ac.uk
- Adept Scientific – adeptscience.co.uk
- Autonomy – autonomy.com
- Elsevier – elsevier.com
- The GeoInformation Group (Cities Revealed) – citiesrevealed.com
- Hedtek Ltd (Dr Mark van Harmelen) – hedtek.com
- Infoterra – infoterra.co.uk
- QinetiQ – qinetiq.com
- Talis – talis.com
- Thomson Reuters – thomsonreuters.com